It seems like a daily occurance. I open my feed reader and BAM! someone has written a blog post prediciting Twitter’s demise. I have 2 thoughts on this:
- Too many people fail to see Twitter’s potential as the greatest human edited real-time search engine ever.
- I need to find some new bloggers to follow.
My opinion on Twitter
Here’s my take on Twitter (or Facebook, or whatever the social media darling of the week happens to be):
- Social media is constantly evolving.
- Twitter will probably be beaten by a better idea someday.
- We’ll all survive.
Look back at the history of modern communications and you’ll see a pattern emerging:
- The fax machine killed off the telex machine.
- Email kicked the fax machine in the gut.
- Blogs, Flickr, Facebook, Youtube and Twitter are making email seem less important (socially).
- Soon something new will come along and we may all abandon Twitter like a rain-soaked cricket match that’s heading for a draw (if you don’t watch cricket, you should).
Twitter is a great communications tool. I say you should invest everything you have into building a powerful network of Twitter customers, suppliers and friends. Don’t worry about it disappearing, because if/when it does you and your network of followers will probably already have moved on.
Twitter isn’t dying. It’s teething. Now stop putting ‘the end is nigh’ posts in my feed reader!