My wife doesn’t understand boys fighting in the school playground (girls didn’t do that in her day so she has no point of reference). Obviously neither of us want our boys to get into fights. It’s pointless and costs a lot in dental bills.
But when my dumb, hormonal teenager gets pinned in a corner by another dumb, hormonal teenager and we aren’t there to defend him, it’s up to him to protect himself or get hurt. Either way we have to support his decision.
A guide to playground fights
Based on my vast experience of getting beaten to a pulp all through high school, here’s my quick guide to playground fights:
- Never start a fight.
- If you are forced into a fight, try talking your way out of it. You can learn a lot about conflict resolution from playground fights.
- If he throws the first punch, do whatever it takes to protect yourself and end the fight quickly. Sometimes this means throwing a punch and sometimes it means walking away. As you get older, making this decision becomes easier.
- Never look to your friends for support. They won’t have your back because they’ll be filming the fight to put on Youtube.
- Know that if you get hit, it’s going to hurt like hell. Remember that pain the next time you’re about to get into a fight and use it to find a way out.
- A day after the fight, shake hands and say you’re sorry. It doesn’t always work, but when it does life gets a little bit easier.